Historian Galante acknowledges that it is probable that this synagogue was erected by a Jewish lady of Dutch origin called either Osbio or Aseo, who also founded the Lazaretto poors’ home. According to the popular belief, it was built with the donations from a lady by the name of Donna Gracia Nasi renowned by the nickname of Gveret or La Signora, who was the aunt of Joseph Nasi, who was promoted to an important rank at the Ottoman palace. Considering that the only woman who was known by the name of Signora at this time was Donna Gracia and that there is also a synagogue which goes by the same name in Istanbul, the validity of this view enhances. Burnt several times in the 16th and 17th Centuries, the building was completely destroyed in the fire of 1841 and rebuilt with the contributions from Moiz Bengiat Yerushalmi.
The synagogue is accessible with a staircase with five steps. From the order of the floor of the synagogue, it is understood that Tevah which had been earlier situated between four columns in the centre was moved to the side of Ehal, and a shift was made to the practice of a double Tevah on the left and right in 1940. With its door bearing lines from the Old Testament, Ehal is in compliance with the triple order which is specific to Izmir. The lower part of the Azara balcony is decorated with original flower and landscape pictures specific to this synagogue. The synagogue is located near the Havra (Synagogue) Street at Kemeralti.
(Güleryüz, Trakya ve Anadolu Sinagogları, 2008,68)