Hevra Sinagogue’s name as mentioned in very old texts is Talmud Torah Synagogue. Known to have existed in the time of Joseph Escapa in the 17th century, this synagogue was burnt and destroyed and rebuilt several times. Although it was rebuilt after the fire in September 1838 by Chelebi and Menahem Hacez brothers, it was burnt again in the fire of 1841 and remained in a ruined state for many years until it was repaired again. (Güleryüz, Trakya ve Anadolu Sinagogları,2008,68)
Built in the central plan, the Hevra Synagogue is a typical Izmir synagogue with its Tevah, triple Ehal composition and Midrash. As in Shalom Synagogue, the Tevah here was also made in the form of the prow of a galley inspired by the Ottoman galleys which brought the Jews from Spain. The huge number of the Sefer Torah (Old Testament) available in Hevra Synagogue ensured it to occupy so prestigious a status.
The roof of the synagogue had collapsed in 1999, and rescue efforts were carried out in 2020 with the contributions of the German Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
The synagogue is located near the Havra (Synagogue) Street at Kemeralti.