Shalom Synagogue is also known by the name of “El Kal de la Tromba” which means Synagogue of the Water Pump and started to be called Aydinlilar Synagogue in the 1930s when it was allocated to the Jews who came from Aydin. It is a synagogue in which Joseph Escapa, who became the religious leader of the Jewish Community of Izmir in 1648 and achieved their very first organisation, acted as the Chief Rabbi as from 1620. Rabbi Joseph Escapa also provided young Sabbati Sevi with religious education, but once Sabbatai Sevi had declared himself Messiah, he got the ball running in the latter’s dismissal from Izmir. Shalom Synagogue is the only synagogue which was not destroyed by the fire of 1841.
The interior of the Shalom Synagogue, which may be said to be the most authentic synagogue of Izmir, is reminiscent of a typical Turkish house with its ceiling decorated with engravings, sofas along the walls and floral cushions and pillows. Tevah of the synagogue inspired by the Ottoman galleys which brought the Jews from Spain in the 15th century, really resembles the prow of a galley.
Although it was built in the central style, Tevah was removed from the centre in 1939 and placed before the wall across the Ehal. The conventional triple Ehal composition also exists in this synagogue.
While Palestine was part of the Ottoman Empire in the 16th century, the Sephardic Jews, who first settled there, acknowledged the city of Safed as a religious centre and the holy city of Kabbalah and built synagogues called the Blue Synagogues. The blue colour of the Shalom Synagogue is relevant due to its association with the Safed synagogues.
There is an iron Sukkah with a crown symbolising the Kingdom of the Lord on it in the courtyard of the synagogue. It is claimed to be the only sukkah with a crown in the world. The synagogue is near the Havra (Synagogue) Street at Kemeralti.